In his own words...
I suppose I owe credit to Tom Hanks for launching my music career. If it hadn't been for him jumping on the big piano in FAO Schwarz and playing Heart and Soul, I would never have gone to my sister's room, pulled out her keyboard and began jumping on it. This was when, after screaming at me, she came in and showed me how to use my fingers to play. Okay, maybe the credit should go to her, but the former is much more entertaining.
I began as a percussionist in middle school in my hometown of Merced, CA and continued through high school and college. Unfortunately, it wasn’t until my age-out year when I decided to explore the pageantry realm, leading to me marching in the 2009 Mandarins Front Ensemble and the infamous 2010 Freelancer half-season. But through this, I have made a number of friends and peers, such as Nate Bourg, Blair Williams, Greyson Boydstun and Vince Oliver, to name only a few.
As a music educator, my mantra has always been that music programs prepare students for a successful, meaningful life, even if they do not continue with their music education. I had an old friend from high school tell me that had it not been for band, he would not be alive today. I am immensely grateful for what music has done for me and it is my goal, through my music and my instruction, to affect the lives of students and share with them the inherent joy that is making music.
I currently live in Turlock, California where I am completing my California Teaching Credential at California State University, Stanislaus.
Comments from D'Rumpus
Michael has a rich background of experience from which to pull inspiration from. While generally a laid back guy in person, it's clear when talking to him about music or even when listening to his compositions that he has a real energy and passion about music. We feel very fortunate to be able to offer his music to you through this site!
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION:
- Louis Armstrong Jazz Award (P)
- Semper Fidelis Award (P)
- CBDA All-State Middle School Concert Band Percussion Manager (E)
- Madera South High School 2008 WBA AA Champions (E)
- Merced High School Winter Percussion 2009 SJVCGPR Regional A Champions (E)
- Madera South High School Winter Percussion 2009 SJVCGPR Open Class Champions (E)
- Stanislaus Wind Ensemble Student Conductor (E)
- Stanislaus Percussion Ensemble Conductor (E)
- California State University, Stanislaus Bachelor of Music in Education
- California State University, Stanislaus Bachelor of Music in Composition
- Merced High School (P) (E) (M)
- Beyer High School (E)
- Madera South High School (E) (M)
- Turlock High School (E) (M)
- Sacramento Freelancers (P)
- Sacramento Mandarins (P) (E)
- Summer Music at Stanislaus (E)
- California State University, Stanislaus Percussion and Wind Ensembles (P) (E)